Thursday, April 14, 2011

Canucks Game 1 vs. Hawks - April 13th


Today was game 1 of the 2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs and I was very fortunate to get to go to the game. Me and my friend Kirsten Dixon have had tickets for about 5 years now and decided to go to Game 1 together. All day I could feel the energy in the city. I didn't even have to leave my place in Kits to feel the excitement. It did hep a
bit that I've been learning how to "Tweet", didn't think they would ever get me... but they did. So Twitter kept me in the know of all the talks around town and around the league.

Being a game day, I thought it was important to stick to routines. Had my super salad, pre game nap and then got ready and headed off for downtown. Wasn't the most sunny day out but was one of those days that nothing could stand in my way of being happy.

I decided I would walk from my place to downtown... wasn't sure how long it would take but made it to Pender and Howe in 1 hour and 1 minute... :-) And that included a Starbucks pick up along the way. (Picture was along my walk from home towards Kits beach, one of my favourite views in the world)

Looking out over the Burrard Street bridge on my walk downtown, man I love the water, and the city, and the mountains and... :-)

I was a bit of a dork/super fan wearing my Nucks Jersey, scarf, smile and holding Starbucks. Does life get much better then that? Really?







Anyhow, I continued on downtown and met up with couple of friends Kat and Blake for dinner!!
Just making sure they were ready for the pic... and yes I put this one in instead of the actual pic, I like it, feels like teamwork if you ask me :-)

Then off to the game, watched the warm up from down below, got some fun pics up close and personal. Lets see if you can guess who my favourite Canuck is...

Energy in the rink was also incredible... could sense the nerves of some of the players, feel the confidence of others, the fans & the city. Pretty fun thing to be a part of.


Kirsten loving life being at Game 1!!! Both of us with our new scarves!! Dan, focused and ready to take down the Hawks!!! Proud fellow Smitherite!!

Definitely 2 of the most wonderful people I know!! Art and Marge Buchanan from Smithers, they were my employers at the movie theatre, my friends and consider them family!!! More amazing people I am lucky to have in my life and that I am thankful for!!

Well here is my coles notes version on the recap as it's getting late and sleep is needed. 1st period... this team is one that I believe noone can touch, they looked absolutely phenomenal out there, so poised, confident and making plays that honestly blew me away. The pure talent that these players have is absolutely incredible. What a fun team to watch. Samuelson stood out to me a ton, seemed to have an extra gear that when he wanted to turn it on, the Hawks had NO chance. Then there's Lou... the toe save in the first... speechless... and that's hard to do to me. I sat there with my mouth open, in awe... Wow was he on his game tonight or what!!
It was a high tempo, very physical game. I think that is where the Nucks had them, they were all throwing their bodies around without fear. Kes had a great block, luckily nothing hurts in the playoffs :-)

Come the 2nd and 3rd, some people feel like the Canucks were outplayed. For sure it wasn't like the first but I think it was smart, they were up 2-0, no you don't want to sit back but definitely play it smart. They moved to a 2-3 forecheck which was extremely successful, not always the most exciting for the fans but at the end of the day the W is what matters.

I feel as though Kane's mullet might have gotten in his eyes tonight...

Alright, off to bed for me, but thank-you Canucks for a great game and I look forward to the next couple months!! Or as my brother Dorian said after the first tonight, "47 more periods like that and we're set"

Happy Wednesday everyone and have a great sleep!!

No comments: